You Can Take Care of Your Water Heater
There are some steps you can take to ensure the health of your water heater.
One is to flush your water heater once a year. Rust, calcium, and sand builds up in the heater, which reduces its efficiency and drives up your costs. Here’s how you can flush your water heater:
- Set your water heater to the vacation setting.
- Turn off the cold water supply line.
- Connect a garden hose to the drain.
- Open a hot water faucet somewhere in the house.
- Place the other end of the garden hose over a floor drain.
- Open the valve that the garden hose is connected to.
When the water heater has finished draining, then:
- Turn the valve off.
- Disconnect the garden hose.
- Turn off the hot water.
- Turn cold water supply back on.
- Set the water heater thermostat back to your preference.
If you don’t feel comfortable flushing your water heater yourself, just give Master Plumbing a call and we’ll take care of it for you!